The exterior part 2

 


Welcome to the chateau!

It has been a couple months since a started focussing on the exterior. A year ago I started covering all the siding with clay and spackle (i made a previous post about it), but then I started working on the inside and the exterior didn’t happen anymore. But now I did set my mind on it!

I started with building an extra part for my dollhouse. My dollhouse is a Beacon Hill by Greenleaf and I was so lucky to find a second one. The second one became the base of my addition, but I have been totally bashing this one during the building.

First I used the left part of the house, but I mirrored everything. I also decided to add more windows, so it would look more symmetrical and French. On the picture you see the side of the left part.



At first I intended to only use the original left part and make a small addition to the original house. But I discovered I could add the original right part against it too. That way I had a complete wall. So in the picture you see the side wall of the original left part (but mirrored) and next to it is the front of the original right part. I also made some changes to the windows. 




I have also removed the porch completely and made a new foundation and stairs. I sanded the stairs slightly in the middle to give them an aged look.




For the windows I wanted to do a different division then the original. It was such precision work to get it right. Also since I wanted more windows in the additional part as there are in the original beacon hill I had to copy the windows. I made three additional windows out of balsa wood.



To attain the real French look I made stone trims for the outer corners . They are made of balsa wood. I glued all the pieces on stripes of paper. It took me a couple of days to make all the stripes, I needed a lot of them!







Now it was time to go to the architectural details! I added some trims to the windows. I bought the white curls above the windows on etsy. The trims beneath did I make by cutting a wooden bar with this beautiful design, which was perfect for the trims.


I love mouldings and I had seen this beautiful moulding some time ago. So I was looking so forward to finally assembly them on my house! Unfortunately when I started I discovered they were so though to work with and I didn’t have the right tools. They are from plaster and a lot harder to work with then the wooden mouldings I’m used to. Also some were slighty thinker, some were straight, other bend… So it was a real puzzle to find out which piece fitted best on which wall. Eventually I found a quite easy way to miter them. With a miter box, a saw and clamps it worked. The most important trick is to not put any pressure on the saw. The mouldings are only 30cm long, so on the longer walls I need to use more then one. They were really dificult to fit perfectly next to each other. I had to sand them a lot by the connection and fill with silicone sealant.


But eventually I was so happy to carry throught!



Last minute I decided to remove the balcony door on the second floor. I never liked the original door. I was looking for another one, but it looked like every door I found on internet looked odd compared to the other windows and the front door. I have thought about making a door myself, the same shape as the windows, but they looked to slim to be a realistic door. So I decided to make another copy of the windows an replace the door by a normal window. So now the balcony is a ‘fake’ balcony. I didn’t like the idea actually but I’m pretty sure in the end it will give the best look. I made the same balcony by the double window on the addition.


 

So finally ready to paint! I have been so excited for this part since I started a long time ago on the exterior!
I painted everything the same color first. Then the trims and windows were painted in a lighter, almost white color. I have been aging the walls by using a slighty different lighter color and dabbing it with a sponge. With acrylic paint and a lot of water I aged the bottom, the windows and corners.

I have been painting, repainting, aging an unaging a lot till I found the right color and look.

painted in one color

final color

Then it was time to add the final touch! I bought tis beatiful balconies and maching railings on etsy. I painted them black and give them a satin varnish to give them a real iron look. 



And finally… the result! Next time the roof!







Comments

  1. Oh wow!!!!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Standing Ovation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing & Beautiful….

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving all of the thoughtful details you are giving to this beautiful dollhouse! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have transformed this structure into an amazing French style Chateau. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. me encanta la transformación, mi enhorabuena!!! un trabajo precioso!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The making of the breakfast room

Welcome little kitty!